Thursday, May 21, 2009

Leaving the city by the bay…

me bridge ghost If you could pack my four years in San Francisco into a week, it would be damn close to my last week in the city. A sprinkling of finals throughout the wonderful food, friends, drinking,  frustrated parking, sailing, wind-driven fog, surfing, MUNI failure, and indian summers amidst awe-inspiring views.

My brother Blake came on Monday to visit and we sailed through raccoon straits and anchored in Sausalito on Tuesday. Wednesday we trekked down the coast to a little cove outside Santa Cruz to find some fun waves sheltered from the howling  breeze. Thursday I dined with  Laura at a touristy restaurant on pier 39, but the real feast was the fog swirled sunset over the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. Muni took twice as long as it should there and half as long back.

Friday I took a final I had no need to study for and gave away all my furniture on Craigslist (traded a chair for beer). Saturday during our indian summer I went sailing with Ocean Mat out of pier 39 and docked at Angel Island (without getting hunted down and fined by a ranger). Went from hot on the dock to shivering on the water to broiling as we hiked the island. We cooled off for good after anchoring on the leeward side of the island and swimming to the old immigration station. We sailed back in white caps amidst dolphins.

Sunday I went surfing at my favorite hidden surf break beP1140041hind a grocery store; scored a few good waves. Got finished washing and putting my gear away and got the call to go surfing with Ocean Mat at Ocean Beach. I scored even better waves and even worse sunburn. Monday I had delicious pesto pizza with Laura on Haight Street and laughed until my sides hurt while drinking with Josh, David, Audrey, and Estevan.

Tuesday I packed, cleaned and left town with my truck looking like it was 1932 and I was heading out to “Californie”.

 

Check out this interactive map feature, let’s see if it works.

Map picture

No comments:

Post a Comment