Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Bags Are Packed, I’m Ready To Go…

My last few days in Fresno were a real treat.  I spent much of my time with my family and getting myself ready to go. I received a lot of very generous and thoughtful gifts for Graduation, as well as many kind wishes. My friends came out in force and gave me more than one wonderful night to remember.

On my last day at home, Sunday May 24th, with my bags packed and lying next to IMG_0196the door, my parents and my brother, who came up from LA, went sailing on Huntington Lake. We had a great time tacking up the lake and winging it back down all the while reveling in the trees, fresh air, and snow drifts lingering on shore.

I slept for four hours before my flight and which were thankfully uneventful. I started getting excited as we flew over the Gulf of Mexico and a very lively thunderstorm welcomed me to Orlando, Florida. My Aunt Laurie and Uncle John picked me up from the airport and took me to their house where I very gratefully caught up on sleep. The next day Aunt Laurie and I bummed around the Universal themeparks and I had a great  maitai during that day’s thunderstorm next to a waterfall at a nifty hotel, where we ate dinner.

Wednesday we left early for St. Augustine, the oldest permanent European settlement in North America, founded in 1565. I enjoyed the thick growth along the road and marveled how Me St Augustineanyone ever traveled by land across this state. St. Augustine is a really cool city, though touristy, it has a lot of history.  Sir Francis Drake burned the city in 1586 and it was attacked and changed hands numerous times. The fort built in the early 1700s was really interesting and gave a wonderful view of the area. I am writing this entry as today’s thunderstorm passes and we get ready to hit another museum. What a beautiful city this is.

Tomorrow we leave St. Augustine and I am continuing to Jacksonville; where I board the Bounty and my adventure begins!

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Grant!!! I know you'll have the most wonderful time!
    Sebastian and I miss you!! Be Safe and Have fun!

    sloane!

    ReplyDelete