Tuesday, November 24, 2009

San Juan Puerto Rico: Mad Dash for Relaxation

Wednesday November 11th

Jessie came in the cabin and cryptically said “We’re in Puerto PB110034Rico at the dock” and promptly left. I threw on my clothes and sunglasses and went up to the weather deck. Everyone was rushing around apparently having just gotten  docklines doubled up, as best as I could tell anyway as I could barely open my eyes.  I noticed that everyone else had their crew shirts on so I jumped below and got mine on.

When I came up I helped coil down and then we went aloft to furl the main topsail and the forecourse, the last sails I would furl this voyage. We had plenty of crew working on the furls, so the sail was put away in no time flat. Once the deck was all squared away we were called below to clear ourselves with the customs and immigration folks.  After that we had to wait around the ship for several hours until all our paperwork cleared through. Thankfully, as we were now in an American Territory, the ship’s wireless internet card was working so all of us got to check our email and contact friends after 30 days at sea.

Once we were cleared for entry the ship was cleared of crew as we all hit the town. Adam and I went out and wandered old town San Juan. We had lunch near an old city square. We reveled in the many aspects of being back on shore including the fresh food, beer, and especially new faces around us. I had an avocado chicken salad with pico de guyo, oh man was that good!

We wandered over to the old Spanish fort during intermittentPB110042 thunderstorms. Luck was with us and we got free admission to the fort and had a blast exploring the place. Very beautiful. After the fort we just wandered around the town for a little while and got some ice cream. We got back to the ship earlier than either of us needed to be so we went back out for a stroll and mojitos.

PB110043

We went back to the ship since Adam had to take over watch and at 7pm I took over the night watch. I had expected a loud party all night on the ship once everyone got back from the bars, but luck was on my side. Well luck and exhaustion; the crew was all partied out and everyone was asleep before 11pm. I spent the night on my laptop and talking to Amelia on the phone.

What a wonderful day on solid ground. Being back on shore I couldn’t really grasp that I had been at sea for 30 days, for an entire month of my life. More so the idea that in 24 hours I would be with my parents at home in California.

Thursday November 12th

Everyone was still in at sea mode so most of the ship was up and ready to go early in the morning. I finished packing my things and cleaning up my space. Frank and Christine’s son Carmen surprised them by showing up in town and is joining the ship for the sun back to Florida. He had rented a car and offered to give me a ride to the airport.

As the time neared for me to leave the ship and people started to head out into town I had many wonderful, heartfelt goodbyes to the men and women I have worked and lived beside since I first set foot on this ship so long ago. When it was time I grabbed my bags and headed out to the car. On deck I shook hands with the captain and walked down the gangway.

I stopped and turned for one last look at my ship rolling ever so gently. With a smile and a deep breath I picked up my bags and headed out on my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment